Home → Archive
MINUTES of the first session of the twenty-sixth Council (69th annual) meeting, held in the Pump Rooms, Bath, on Whitsun Tuesday, May 31st, 1966.
A welcome was extended to the Council by the Mayor of Bath, Alderman R. Purdie, the Assistant Bishop of Bath and Wells, the Rt. Rev. D. J. Wilson, and the Master of the Bath and Wells Diocesan Association, the Rev. H. F. Warren.
Canon A. G. G. Thurlow, Messrs. E. A. Barnett, F. W. Perrens, F. Sharpe and J. F. Smallwood.
Mrs. E. A. Barnett, Messrs. F. E. Collins, F. I. Hairs, D. Hughes, C. K. Lewis, W. A. Osborn, H. N. Pitstow, G. W. Pipe, H. L. Roper, E. C. Shepherd, R. F. B. Speed, P. L. Taylor, T. W. White and J. Willis.
Ancient Society of College Youths.- Messrs. W. T. Cook and W. Williams.
Australia and New Zealand Association.- Mr. P. M. J. Gray.
Bath and Wells Diocesan Association.- Messrs. J. H. Gilbert, A. H. Reed, G. Salmon and H. J. Sanger.
Bedfordshire Association.- Messrs. J. H. Edwards and A. E. Rushton.
Cambridge University Guild.- Dr. C. M. P. Johnson and Mr. B. D. Threlfall.
Chester Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. J. W. Griffiths and J. Worth.
Coventry Diocesan Guild.- Mrs. D. E. Beamish and Mr. H. Windsor.
Derbyshire Association.- Messrs. D. R. Carlisle, G. A. Halls and M. P. Phipps.
Devon Association.- Mr. B. E. Bartlett.
Dudley & Dist. Guild.- Mr. M. J. Fellows.
Durham and Newcastle Association.- Messrs. K. Arthur and D. A. Bayles.
East Grinstead and District Guild.- Mr. B. E. Jeffrey.
Ely Diocesan Association.- Messrs. J. G. Gipson, E. H. Mastin, D. F. Murfet and H. S. Peacock.
Essex Association.- Dr. J. Armstrong, Messrs. F. B. Lufkin and J. E. G. Roast.
Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan Association.- Messrs. A. L. Barry, W. B. Kynaston, J. R. Taylor and C. A. Wratten.
Guildford Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. D. A. R. May, J. F. M. Maybrey, S. G. Ponting and W. H. Viggers.
Guild of Devonshire Ringers.- Miss B. M. Boyle, Messrs. N. Mallett, T. G. Myers and the Rev. J. G. M. Scott.
Hereford Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. G. T. Cousins, C. A. Lewis and A. T. Wingate.
Hertford County Association.- Messrs. W. Ayre, B. M. Barker, R. G. Bell and G. Dodds.
Irish Association.- Mr. F. E. Dukes.
Kent County Association.- Messrs. P. A. Corby, T. Cullingworth, S. Jenner and I. H. Oram.
Ladies’ Guild.- Miss J. Beresford, Miss D. E. Colgate and Mrs. P. J. Staniforth.
Lancashire Association.- Messrs. A. Capstick, C. Crossthwaite, J. P. Partington and F. Reynolds.
Leicester Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. S. Burton, J. M. Jelley, P. J. Staniforth and B. G. Warwick.
Lincoln Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. J. Bray, G. E. Feirn, J. Freeman and J. L. Millhouse.
Llandaff and Monmouth Diocesan Association.- Mrs. D. J. King and Mr. T. M. Roderick.
London County Association.- Messrs. A. D. Barker, H. W. Rogers, W. G. Wilson and Mrs. H. W. Rogers.
Middlesex County Association.- Messrs. F. T. Blagrove, G. W. Critchley, T. J. Lock and Miss R. M. Foreman.
Midland Counties Guild.- Mr. J. W. Cotton.
National Police Guild.- Mr. N. S. Bagworth.
North Staffordshire Association.- Messrs. R. S. Anderson and C. S. Ryles.
North Wales Association.- Dr. E. V. Woodcock.
Norwich Diocesan Association.- Messrs. P. M. Adcock, H. W. Barrett, F. N. Golden and N. V. Harding.
Oxford Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. W. Butler, N. J. Diserens, F. C. Price and P. Walker.
Oxford University Society.- Messrs. S. J. Ivin and D. J. Roaf.
Peterborough Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. J. H. Bluff and J. Linnell.
St. Martin’s Guild, Birmingham.- Messrs. J. A. Ainsworth and G. E. Fearn.
Salisbury Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. J. T. Barrett, G. H. Harding, G. S. Morris and Rev. R. Keeley.
Sheffield and District Society.- Mr. N. Chaddock.
Society of Royal Cumberland Youths.- Messrs. D. Beresford, W. H. Dobbie, K. Newman and D. E. Sibson.
South Derbyshire and North Leicestershire Association.- Mr. J. E. Collins.
Southwell Diocesan Guild.- Mr. W. L. Exton.
Stafford Archdeaconry Society.- Messrs. M. W. Fairey, B. G. Key and C. M. Smith.
Suffolk Guild.- Messrs. H. W. Egglestone, C. W. Pipe and Miss A. E. J. Lester.
Surrey Association.- Messrs. A. P. Cannon, W. Parrott and A. Streeter.
Sussex County Association.- Mrs. F. I. Hairs, Messrs. R. W. R. Percy, A. V. Sheppard and W. L. Weller.
Swansea and Brecon Guild.- Mr. G. I. Lewis.
Truro Diocesan Guild.- Messrs. W. C. Boucher, D. Burnett, A. J. Davidson and A. Locke.
Universities Association.- Miss M. R. Cross.
University of Bristol Society.- Dr. T. P. Edwards.
University of London Society.- Mr. A. J. Frost.
Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild.- Mr. A. V. Davis, Canon K. W. H. Felstead and Mr. J. Hartless.
Worcestershire and Districts Association.- Messrs. B. C. Ashford, D. Beacham and W. B. Cartwright.
Yorkshire Association.- Messrs. V. Bottomley, W. E. Critchley, E. Hudson and W. F. Moreton.
REPORT AS TO MEMBERSHIP
The hon. secretary reported that 60 Societies were affiliated with 164 members. The rules provided for 24 honorary members and there were six life members, making a total possible membership of 194. There were two vacancies among honorary members and one among representative members.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies were received from Messrs. B. Austin, H. O. Baker, E. Billings, F. Bogan, Miss J. A. V. Caligari, Messrs. P. I. Chapman, J. D. Clarke, J. T. Dunwoody, J. P. Fidler, G. W. Fletcher, Mrs. C. C. Marshall, Group Captain J. S. Mason, Messrs. A. J. Pitman, T. H. Radford, R. R. Savory, Miss H. G. Snowden, Mrs. R. F. B. Speed, Messrs. L. Stilwell, G. Tembey, C. G. J. Watts, F. A. White and E. Willcox.
PRESENTATION OF NEW MEMBERS TO THE PRESIDENT
The following new members were presented: Messrs. J. W. Griffiths (Chester Guild), D. R. Carlisle (Derbyshire Association), M. J. Fellows (Dudley and District Guild), B. E. Jeffrey (East Grinstead and District Guild), Dr. J. Armstrong (Essex Association), Messrs. J. R. Taylor (Gloucester and Bristol Association), C. A. Lewis (Hereford Guild), B. M. Barker (Hertford Association), S. Jenner (Kent County Association), A. J. Frost (University of London Society), A. Capstick and F. Reynolds (Lancashire Association), Miss R. M. Foreman (Middlesex Association), Messrs. C. S. Ryles (North Staffordshire Association), P. M. Adcock (Norwich Association), W. Butler, N. J. Diserens and F. C. Price (Oxford Guild), J. H. Bluff and J. Linnell (Peterborough Guild), J. A. Ainsworth (St. Martin’s Guild), Rev. R. Keeley (Salisbury Guild), Messrs. K. Newman (Cumberland Youths), M. W. Fairey and C. M. Smith (Stafford Archdeaconry), H. W. Egglestone (Suffolk Guild), A. Streeter (Surrey Association) and E. Hudson (Yorkshire Association).
The following members of a previous Council, but now representing different Societies or re-elected after an interval, were also presented: Messrs. A. D. Barker (London County), G. W. Critchley (Middlesex Association), N. S. Bagworth (Police Guild) and A. P. Cannon (Surrey Association).
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
President: Canon A. G. G. Thurlow was re-elected on the proposition of Mr. F. Sharpe, seconded by Mr. N. Golden.
Vice-President: Mr. J. Freeman was re-elected on the proposition of Mr. W. Ayre, seconded by Mr. J. Bray.
Hon. Secretary and Treasurer: Mr. V. Bottomley was elected on the proposition of Canon A. G. G. Thurlow, seconded by Mr. J. Freeman.
Hon Librarian: Mr. F. W. Perrens was re-elected on the proposition of Miss D. E. Colgate, seconded by Mrs. P. J. Staniforth.
The president thanked the retiring honorary secretary, Mr. E. A. Barnett, and Mrs. Barnett, and made a presentation to them on behalf of the members. Mr. and Mrs. Barnett expressed their gratitude and their appreciation of the privilege of having served the Council since 1952.
ELECTION OF HONORARY MEMBERS
The president announced that Mr. J. P. Fidler and Mrs. C. C. Marshall were not seeking re-election. The other retiring members, Messrs. D. Hughes, H. N. Pitstow, E. C. Shepherd, R. F. B. Speed, L. Stilwell, P. L. Taylor, T. W. White and J. Willis were re-elected on the proposition of Mr. F. Sharpe, seconded by Mr. W. Ayre.
Mrs. V. Bottomley was elected on the proposition of Mr. W. E. Critchley, seconded by Mrs. E. A. Barnett.
Mr. F. E. Haynes was elected on the proposition of Mr. D. Hughes, seconded by Mr. F. E. Collins.
Mr. J. L. Garner-Hayward was elected on the proposition of Mr. F. W. Perrens, seconded by Mr. J. F. Smallwood.
One vacancy was left unfilled.
ELECTION OF HONORARY AUDITORS
Mr. H. N. Pitstow was re-elected and Mr. D. Hughes elected, proposed by Mrs. P. J. Staniforth, seconded by Mr. P. A. Corby.
LOSS OF MEMBERS THROUGH DEATH
The president reported the death of the following members and past members of the Council, the assembly standing in silence:-
Messrs. D. H. Bennett (1939-50), P. Crook (1927-29, 1939-50 and 1957-62). J. T. Dyke (1927-65), Mrs. G. W. Fletcher (1915-65), Messrs. E. C. Gobey (1912-14 and 1933-35), C. Harrison (1945), G. L. Hewitt (1946-56), T. Metcalfe (1913-36), Canon J. D. Pearson (1946-47), Messrs. A. Paddon Smith (1921-53), W. H. Southeard (1927-32) and S. H. Symonds (1929-45).
Tributes were paid to the memory of many of the deceased, in particular to Mrs. Fletcher for her work both for the Council and the Ladies’ Guild.
MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The minutes as published in “The Ringing World” of March 25th, 1966, were adopted subject to the insertion of “by Mr. F. W. Perrens” after “Standing Committee” under “Election of Life Member,” on the proposition of Mr. E. A. Barnett, seconded by Mr. F. W. Perrens.
These have been published as shown:-
HONORARY SECRETARY AND TREASURER
(June 10th, 1966, page 372)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. E. A. Barnett, seconded by Mr. W. Ayre.
(June 17th, 1966, page 392)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. F. W. Perrens, seconded by Mr. C. K. Lewis.
The president expressed the Council’s thanks to Mr. and Mrs. R. F. B. Speed for their work during the previous eight years in connection with the sale of publications.
Mr. G. Dodds suggested that the possibility be investigated of “Xerox” copying of certain books now out of print.
BALANCE SHEET AND ACCOUNTS
(June 17th, 1966, page 388)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. E. A. Barnett, seconded by Mr. F. E. Dukes.
TRUSTEES OF THE CARTER RINGING MACHINE
(June 17th, 1966, page 391)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. D. Hughes, seconded by Mr. F. E. Dukes.
The hon. secretary reported that at its meeting the previous evening the Committee had considered the agenda in detail and made a number of recommendations which would be placed before the Council.
The report was adopted on the proposition of Mr. E. A. Barnett, seconded by Mr. R. S. Anderson.
“THE RINGING WORLD” COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, pages 386-388)
The Standing Committee recommended the adoption of the report and accounts and the re-election of the committee with the addition of Mr. D. A. Bayles.
During the debate which followed a number of criticisms were made of the layout and contents of the paper. A proposal by Mr. J. Freeman, seconded by the Rev. J. G. M. Scott, that an ad hoc committee be formed to examine the position was defeated. Mr. R. F. B. Speed proposed, and Mr. W. L. Weller seconded, that the committee be voted on individually. This was carried and it was agreed that the committee should consist of six members. After a ballot Messrs. R. S. Anderson, D. A. Bayles, D. Beresford, G. W. Pipe, J. F. Smallwood and W. G. Wilson were elected. The report and accounts were adopted.
(June 17th, 1966, pages 390 and 395)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. F. T. Blagrove, seconded by Mr. C. K. Lewis, Mr. Blagrove was re-elected and Messrs. D. E. Sibson and C. A. Wratten elected to the committee.
It was agreed that the records typed by Mrs. Fletcher should be bound as a memorial to her. Thanks were expressed to Mrs. C. C. Marshall and Mr. J. R. Mayne for their work for the committee in the past.
LITERATURE AND PRESS COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, page 391)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. E. C. Shepherd, seconded by Mr. F. E. Dukes, who were re-elected to the committee.
TOWERS AND BELFRIES COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, page 393)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. F. Sharpe, seconded by Mr. H. J. Sanger.
It was agreed that, in addition to the comprehensive treatise for which approval had been given in 1964, the existing handbook should be reprinted to meet current needs. Tributes were paid by Messrs. Sanger and H. W. Rogers to Mr. Sharpe for his work for the committee. The existing members (Messrs. F. Sharpe, B. Austin, F. E. Collins, J. Freeman, A. J. Frost, H. J. Sanger, Rev. J. G. M. Scott, B. D. Threlfall and J. Worth) were re-elected and Mr. T. M. Roderick added to the committee.
PEALS ANALYSIS COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, page 392)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. W. Ayre, seconded by Canon K. W. H. Felstead. Mr. Ayre, Canon Felstead and Mr. H. L. Roper were re-elected to the committee.
PEALS COLLECTION COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, page 391)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. W. E. Critchley, seconded by Mr. R. F. B. Speed, The committee (Messrs. W. E. Critchley, G. E. Feirn, A. J. Pitman and R. F. B. Speed) were re-elected.
(June 17th, 1966, page 393)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. T. J. Lock, seconded by Mr. W. H. Viggers. The committee (Messrs. T. J. Lock, W. Parrott, W. H. Viggers and J. Willis) were re-elected.
SUNDAY SERVICE RINGING AND EDUCATION COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, page 390)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. N. Chaddock, seconded by Mr. W. F. Moreton.
It was agreed that the committee should proceed with compiling a manual for instructors. Mr. N. Chaddock, Miss M. R. Cross and Messrs. W. F. Moreton and F. Sharpe were re-elected to the committee. Mrs. P. J. Staniforth was added in place of Mr. F. B. Lufkin, who did not wish to stand again.
OVERSEAS RINGING COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, page 394)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. G. W. Pipe, seconded by Mr. A. V. Sheppard. At Mr. Pipe’s suggestion, Mr. F. T. Blagrove reviewed the state of ringing in Africa, from where he had recently returned.
Messrs. Pipe and Sheppard were re-elected to the committee, after which, on behalf of the St. Paul’s Cathedral Society, Melbourne, Mr. T. J. Lock presented to the Council a book entitled “Australia - Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow” and an illuminated address. The president expressed the Council’s thanks and congratulated Mr. Lock on the success of the previous year’s tour of Australia.
BROADCASTING AND TELEVISION COMMITTEE
(June 17th, 1966, page 389)
Adopted on the proposition of Mr. H. N. Pitstow, seconded by Mr. D. A. Bayles. The committee (Messrs. H. N. Pitstow, D. A. Bayles, G. E. Fearn, J. T. Dunwoody, H. J. Sanger, Canon A. G. G. Thurlow and R. S. Wilson) were re-elected.
Mr. C. K. Lewis said that the committee had nothing to report. Mr. Lewis and Mr. F. T. Blagrove were re-elected to the committee, and Mr. S. J. Ivin was added in place of Mr. J. R. Mayne, no longer a member of the Council. The thanks of the committee were extended to Mr. Mayne for his work on their behalf.
STANDING COMMITTEE - MEMBERSHIP
The hon. secretary announced the names of the ex-officio members: Canon A. G. G. Thurlow, Messrs. J. Freeman, V. Bottomley, F. W. Perrens, D. Hughes, H. N. Pitstow, F. Sharpe, E. A. Barnett, G. W. Fletcher, R. S. Anderson, W. Ayre, F. T. Blagrove, N. Chaddock, W. E. Critchley, C. K. Lewis, T. J. Lock, G. W. Pipe and E. C. Shepherd.
After a ballot, the following 12 members were elected: Mrs. O. D. Barnett, Messrs. J. Bray, W. B. Cartwright, P. A. Corby, Miss M. R. Cross, Messrs. F. E. Dukes, F. I. Hairs, W. F. Moreton, H. J. Sanger, J. F. Smallwood, R. F. B. Speed and W. G. Wilson.
(a) Proposed by Mr. C. K. Lewis, seconded by Mr. J. Worth:
“That this Council favours all affiliated Societies fixing the rate of their non-resident life membership subscriptions at a figure which does not exceed one and a half times the resident members’ subscription.” The motion was lost.
(b) Proposed on behalf of the Guild of Devonshire Ringers by the Rev. J. G. M. Scott, seconded by Miss B. M. Boyle:
“That the names of those taking part in peals reported in ‘The Ringing World’ be not published except after payment to ‘The Ringing World’ of not less than sixpence for each person taking part in the peal.”
The motion was lost.
(c) Proposed by Mr. A. V. Davis, seconded by Canon K. W. H. Felstead:
“That this Council invites all affiliated Societies to contribute a sum of not less than three guineas per representative annually towards the cost of maintaining ‘The Ringing World.’”
After debate, the Council passed on to the next business on the proposition of Mr. P. M. J. Gray, seconded by Mr. S. J. Ivin.
It was agreed that the 1967 meeting at Nottingham should be held on Tuesday, May 30th, instead, of on Whitsun Tuesday.
Invitations had been received from the Surrey and Worcestershire and Districts Associations to visit Croydon and Worcester respectively in 1968. It was agreed by a majority to accept the invitation to Worcester.
The Council took note of an invitation to visit Hertfordshire in 1971.
Mr. C. A. Lewis asked whether the Council would publish a Doubles book giving details of all plain methods and variations. Mr. C. K. Lewis undertook to discuss this with his committee.
On the proposition of Mr. W. H. Dobbie, seconded by Mr. C. K. Lewis, Mr. F. I. Hairs was thanked for his services to “The Ringing World” Committee during the preceding 15 years. Congratulations were also extended to Mr. and Mrs. Hairs on their golden wedding anniversary earlier in the year.
On the motion of the president, the thanks of the Council were expressed to the Mayor of Bath, the Assistant Bishop of Bath and Wells and the Master of the Bath and Wells Diocesan Association for their welcome; to the Mayor and Corporation for the use of the hall; to the Rector of Bath Abbey for the use of his church for the Holy Communion service; to the officers of the Association, in particular the secretary, Mr. G. Salmon, the treasurer, Mr. E. Naylor, and Mr. J. H. Gilbert for the local arrangements; and to local incumbents and towerkeepers for the use of their bells.
The members were the guests at tea of the Mayor and Corporation of Bath.
The Ringing World, March 24, 1967, pages 201 to 202, amended April 7, 1967, page 233