Home → Archive
The president, Mr. John Freeman, was in the chair.
E. A. Barnett, V. Bottomley, F. W. Perrens, F. Sharpe, E. C. Shepherd, Canon A. G. G. Thurlow, T. W. White.
Mrs. E. A. Barnett, Mrs. V. Bottomley, F. E. Collins, J. L. Garner-Hayward, D. Hughes, S. J. Ivin, C. K. Lewis, J. R. Mayne, H. N. Pitstow, G. W. Pipe, H. L. Roper, R. B. Smith, R. F. B. Speed, Mrs. R. F. B. Speed, P. L. Taylor.
Ancient Society of College Youths: W. T. Cook, J. S. Mason, R. B. Meadows, W. Williams.
Australian and New Zealand Association: P. M. J. Gray.
Bath and Wells Diocesan Association: J. H. Gilbert, E. Naylor, A. H. Reed.
Bedfordshire Association: J. H. Edwards, K. H. Fleming.
Beverley and District Society: R. Ducker.
Cambridge University Guild: C. M. P. Johnson, B. D. Threlfall.
Chester Diocesan Guild: H. C. Lonyon, D. Mottershead.
Coventry Diocesan Guild: Mrs. D. E. Beamish, H. M. Windsor.
Cumberland and North Westmorland Association: R. W. D. Wetenhall.
Derby Diocesan Association: D. R. Carlisle, G. A. Halls, Rev. R. D. St. John Smith.
Devon Association: B. E. Bartlett.
Durham and Newcastle Association: K. Arthur, D. A. Bayles.
East Grinstead and District Guild: K. Game.
Ely Diocesan Association: J. G. Gipson, H. S. Peacock.
Essex Association: J. Armstrong, F. B. Lufkin, Miss H. G. Snowden.
Gloucester and Bristol Diocesan Association: A. L. Barry, A. R. Peake, J. R. Taylor, C. A. Wratten.
Guildford Diocesan Guild: D. A. R. May, T. Page, P. G. Smart, W. H. Viggers.
Guild of Devonshire Ringers: Father P. Angold, D. R. Bould, Rev. J. G. M. Scott.
Hereford Diocesan Guild: P. Hughes, J. F. I. Turney, A. T. Wingate, P. J. H. Wycherley.
Hertford County Association: W. Ayre, B. M. Barker, R. G. Bell, G. Dodds.
Irish Association: P. W. Brown, F. E. Dukes, J. T. Dunwoody.
Kent County Association: P. A. Corby, S. Jenner, I. H. Oram, C. A. Tester.
Ladies’ Guild: Miss J. Beresford, Miss D. E. Colgate, Mrs. P. J. Staniforth.
Lancashire Association: N. Bennett, C. Crossthwaite, J. P. Partington, F. Reynolds.
Leicester Diocesan Guild: S. Burton, J. M. Jelley, P. J. Staniforth, B. G. Warwick.
Lincoln Diocesan Guild: J. Bray, G. E. Feirn, J. L. Millhouse, P. Reynolds.
Llandaff and Monmouth Diocesan Association: Mrs. D. J. King, T. M. Roderick.
London County Association: H. W. Rogers, Mrs. H. W. Rogers, G. W. Shanks, W. G. Wilson.
Middlesex County Association: F. T. Blagrove, G. W. Critchley, T. J. Lock, C. H. Rogers.
National Police Guild: N. S. Bagworth.
North Staffordshire Association: R. S. Anderson, C. S. Ryles.
North Wales Association: Dr. E. V. Woodcock.
Norwich Diocesan Association: P. M. Adcock, H. W. Barrett, M. Cubitt, N. V. Harding.
Oxford Diocesan Guild: W. Butler, N. J. Diserens, F. C. Price, P. Walker.
Oxford Society: F. A. H. Wilkins.
Oxford University Society: J. E. Camp, D. J. Roaf.
Peterborough Diocesan Guild: E. Billings, J. H. Bluff, B. Hendry.
Railwayman’s Guild: E. J. Franklin.
St. David’s Diocesan Guild: J. Prytherch.
St. Martin’s Guild: G. E. Fearn, R. W. Pipe.
Salisbury Diocesan Guild: J. T. Barrett, E. J. Hitchins, G. S. Morris.
Sheffield and District Society: J. Seager.
Society of Royal Cumberland Youths: J. S. Barnes, D. Beresford, W. H. Dobbie, D. E. Sibson.
Society of Sherwood Youths: G. A. Dawson.
South Derbyshire and North Leicestershire Association: J. E. Collins.
Southwell Diocesan Guild: J. D. Clarke, W. L. Exton, R. B. Mills, H. Poyner.
Stafford Archdeaconry Society: C. F. W. Eyre, M. W. Fairey, C. M. Smith.
Suffolk Guild: T. N. J. Bailey, H. W. Egglestone, C. W. Pipe, Rev. L. R. Pizzey.
Surrey Association: A. P. Cannon, S. F. W. Kimber, C. F. Mew.
Sussex County Association: J. R. Morris, R. W. R. Percy.
Truro Diocesan Guild: W. C. Boucher, F. M. Bowers, A. J. Davidson, A. Locke.
Universities Association: Rev. M. Melville.
University of London Society: A. J. Frost.
University of Manchester Guild: M. C. W. Sherwood.
Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild: A. V. Davis, Canon K. W. H. Felstead, J. Hartless, R. R. Savory.
Worcestershire and Districts Association: B. C. Ashford, D. Beacham, W. B. Cartwright.
Yorkshire Association: N. Chaddock, W. E. Critchley, D. S. Johnson, W. F. Moreton.
The meeting opened with prayers.
Before the formal business there was the presentation of a cheque, the proceeds of subscriptions by the whole of the ringing Exercise, and a silver dish to Mr. T. W. White to mark his retirement, after 23 years, from the editorship of The Ringing World. Mrs. White was given a porcelain figure.
REPORT AS TO MEMBERSHIP
The secretary reported that 64 associations were affiliated, with 170 members; that the rules provided 24 honorary members and that there were 10 life members, making a total membership of 204. There were four vacancies - one representative and three honorary members. One subscription was unpaid.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
These were received from Rev. R. Keeley and Messrs. F. E. Haynes, G. W. Fletcher, T. P. Edwards, R. S. Wilson, J. W. Cotton, N. Golden, F. A. White, M. J. Fellows, N. Mallett, W. A. Osborn, J. F. Smallwood, H. J. Sanger, G. I. Lewis, E. F. Willcox, W. L. Weller, D. F. Murfet, J. E. G. Roast, B. Jones, A. J. Brazier and J. P. Fidler.
WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS
The president greeted the following: Messrs. H. C. Lonyon (Chester Diocesan Guild), P. Reynolds (Lincoln Diocesan Guild), J. Prytherch (St. David’s Diocesan Guild) and R. W. Pipe (St. Martin’s Guild).
ELECTION OF HONORARY MEMBERS
It was resolved that G. W. Pipe and F. A. White be re-elected and that Mrs. G. R. Drew, G. R. Drew and C. W. Denyer be elected.
LOSSES THROUGH DEATH
The president reported the deaths of the following and members observed the usual silence: Messrs. W. C. West (Salisbury Diocesan Guild, 1945-1966), G. L. Grover (Guildford Diocesan Guild, 1930-1954), H. O. Baker (Chester Diocesan Guild, 1960-1969), T. E. Sone (Kent County Association, 1933-1960), T. H. Francis (Society of Royal Cumberland Youths, 1948-1956) and W. Shepherd (Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild, 1920-1923, and Guildford Diocesan Guild, 1928-1929).
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
Subject to the substitution of “revise” for “vary” in the note of the Southwell Guild motion, it was resolved that the minutes of the St. Albans meeting, published in The Ringing World of December 12, 19 and 26, 1969, be adopted.
The following were adopted:-
The interim report of the Standing Committee on the constitution and procedural working of the Council (R.W., May 1, 1970, pp. 330-332) was received. Note was taken of comments and it was apprehended that further meetings of the Standing Committee would consider these, prior to submitting a final report and formal proposals to alter the rules in accordance therewith.
It was resolved that a donation of £20 be made from the Clement Glenn Fund to the Gloucester and Bristol special appeal for Stinchcombe bells.
The report of the Joint Committee (R.W., May 1, 1970, page 330) was presented. The following amendment, being a new definition of spliced compositions, was adopted:-
Compositions in more than one method in which the change of method occurs at the lead-head and/or the half-lead shall be called “spliced”. In the case of compositions containing changes of method at both the half-lead and lead-head, all the methods shall be symmetrical about the half-lead with no two of them differing only in the places made at the half-lead and/or the lead-head.
Subject to this, the report was adopted.
A motion to change Decision D (Record Length Peals) was lost.
The following committee reports were adopted:-
The Methods Committee sought the Council’s guidance upon the extension of Leatherhead Surprise Major. After some discussion “next business” was moved and no decision was taken.
It was resolved that the 1971 meeting be held on June 1 and that the possibility of holding the 1972 meeting in London be investigated.
VOTES OF THANKS
Mr. J. L. Garner-Hayward was thanked for his work in distributing the Council’s publications.
Thanks were expressed to the clergy, the local authority and to the Yorkshire Association for their hospitality.
The Ringing World, February 5, 1971, pages 124 and 128